Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Breathing easier

Yes, today I am more at ease in my skin after passing my first anatomy exam. I was a nervous wreck but it worked out in the end. Stressing out doesn't do anyone any good, and I just keep taking that lesson over and over. Someday it will stick. Not today.

Alaska is burning again this year. Very early for a large scale burn as far as fire season goes, but hopefully from what I can glean from the net, it is better controlled at this point. Honestly? I don't think "control" is a good word for it when you have Xthousand acres burning/smoldering at any given time. But, I do know the hard work the firefighters put into making sure it only gets to a certain point before it runs out of fuel. Unfortunately, the sappy environmentalists have guaranteed job certainty for people like my son with millions of acres of dead trees waiting to be cleaned up by Mother Nature. Jody' blog http://www.jodypryor.com/blog/ keeps me most informed since it is in her back yard, literally.

Jody, if you have to run, I can give you a list of things I miss most. Baby pictures of my kids. My jewelry. My favorite kitchen gadgets, ei: spatula from the restaurant, super-size whisk, huge round iron griddle mom gave me, the quilt from gramma, my cat, my journal, ...

But I have everything that matters most, and starting from scratch can be cathartic. Although the gentle insanity from wondering "do I have that here, or did that burn" really never leaves. Thinking back now it was really trippy to take my kids to the store for tooth brushes and underwear so we could even get dressing the next day. It is more of a surrealistic memory, tempered by time, eased by that lovely gift called shock. Like you have heard me say a hundred times, the best worst thing that happened to me. Hopefully you will never be forced to truly "know" about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now, tell me how you really feel!