Sunday, July 11, 2004

Summertime blues

Music in suburbia is a tough row to hoe. Steve's band played last night in Lee's Summit to a crowd that was both appreciative and inattentive at the same time. The band had a few magic moments, but the best part was watching a group of guys smile through the entire night. Even when there was only four people left enjoying the show. It is a strange thing to see people wander out of a performance like nothing matters to the artists on stage. I know they are paid to be there, but there is an honor in art being lost to the instant gratification of current society.

I suppose truthfully this is what allows me to keep my manuscripts private. I know the effort and soul poured into any given piece of art. Living in the "artist realm" with a musician has shown me a new side to the concept of sharing your craft. It just takes a lot of guts to give it up. Seems to me whatever your chosen form of art, big cahunas are required to allow the uninitiated and/or the uninformed to view that portion of your soul. Mostly it seems, artists of any venue are gentle and appreciative when that door is opened... it those others... the ones we try to mass market to who can slaughter you the easiest. Why is that?

I am sure I do not know. I may not ever know. I stand with pride telling myself it never matters what others really think about me. Is that true? I am beginning to wonder.

Job interview tomorrow with the rest of the exec team. Cross my fingers and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now, tell me how you really feel!